Mxpx - On The Cover: Ii
It's taken me quite some time to finally get to listening to MXPX's newest offering, On The Cover II. I had pretty much dismissed the band. They were kind of on hiatus for a while with Mike Herrera having his little side project, Tumbledown but this cover album shows that the band still have the chops and enjoy having a bit of fun with some old classics.
First off, if you like albums like those offered up by Me First and the Gimme Gimme's and other strictly cover punk albums/bands then find On The Cover II right away. This album is as good, although not quite as energetic as MFATGG.
I'm not really going to get into a detailed review of this album but provide you with the tracklisting:
- "Punk Rock Girl" (featuring Matt Hensley of Flogging Molly) - Dead Milkmen
- "I Will Follow" - U2
- "Suburban Home" - Descendents
- "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" (features a brief interlude of Surrender by Cheap Trick) - The Proclaimers
- "My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes to Bitburg)" - Ramones
- "Vacation" - The Go-Go's
- "Heaven Is a Place on Earth" (featuring Agent M of Tsunami Bomb and The Action Design) - Belinda Carlisle
- "Kids in America" - Kim Wilde
- "Fallen Angel" (featuring Craig Owens of Chiodos and Stephen Egerton of Descendents) - Poison
- "Should I Stay or Should I Go" - The Clash
- "Linda Linda" - The Blue Hearts
- "Somebody to Love" (featuring Ethan Luck of Relient K and Bryce Avary of The Rocket Summer) - Queen
So as you can see, Mxpx have taken some classic mainstream songs as well as some more punk songs, throw in the essential Clash cover and you've got a great punk cover album. This blows away anything on the Punk Goes series on Fearless.
User Reviews and CommentsLog In or Register to Rate Albums
Tell us why this album is great or sucks ass, or correct the reviewer. If you write enough quality reviews you may find yourself on the editorial staff.
Reviews have to be over 100 words, shorter ones are classed as comments.